Cake Stalls in Victoria

Food registration information for Community Groups

This information is for community groups selling cakes that are packaged (wrapped or placed in clean containers), and do not contain raw egg, cream or custard.

Many community groups in Victoria hold cake stalls to raise funds for their group or to donate to charity.

To sell food to the public in Victoria, a Food Act registration is required along with a Statement of Trade (SOT).

This fact sheet will provide you with information on how to register, who to register with, and how to lodge a Statement of Trade.


A print-friendly version of this page can be found here.

If you are selling food to the public you are required to register your temporary food premises (your cake stall) with your principal council in Victoria before trading.

If you are only asking for a voluntary (gold coin) donation you do not need to register.

You need to register with your principal council, this is the council where your community group is based (not the one where you will first be trading).

For example, your community group may be based in Bayside, but you will be having your first cake stall at a location somewhere in St. Kilda which comes under Port Philip’s jurisdiction.

In this instance, you will register with Bayside City Council and lodge a Statement of Trade to Port Philip City Council.

Please see below for more information on how to register, and how to lodge a Statement of Trade.

If you’re unsure of your council, you can find them on the find your local council website.

To register with your council you need to apply online via Streatrader.

All you need to do is create an account and log in – once you have done this the registration form will be made available for you to fill in. The form will ask for your community groups details, what type of temporary food premises you have and what food you will be selling from it.

Once you have completed the form, the Streatrader system will lodge it automatically to the council which it has determined to be your principal council for review and approval.

Once the council is satisfied with your application they will accept it online and you will receive an email notifying of you of your successful application.

As long as your cakes are packaged (wrapped or placed in clean containers) when sold, and do not contain raw egg or cream there are no registration requirements you need to meet to become registered or fees for registration.

If you plan on doing more than this, please contact your council for further advice.

Now that you are registered, all you need to do before you can trade is lodge your first Statement of Trade (SOT).

To do this you just need to log in to your Streatrader account and click the “Lodge Statement of Trade” button, which will appear as soon as the council have registered you.

If you have trouble with this, instructions can be found on the Streatrader website in the How To Use section.

The form will ask you when and where you are trading, and once you have completed the form, it will be sent to the appropriate council online, free of cost, to notify them you will be trading in the area.

You are required to fill a SOT out each time you trade in Victoria – so if you want to do another cake stall another time in the future, you can just log on to the same account and lodge a SOT with the appropriate date and location for your group’s upcoming event.

Your Streatrader registration will last as long as your community group needs it - you just need to lodge a SOT for each event.

For more information on things such as registration, registration requirements, fees and time frames please contact your principal council and ask to speak to an environmental health officer.

You can find your council’s contact details here.

For more information on Streatrader or assistance with your Streatrader application, you can take a look at the How To Use pages on the Streatrader website. The Streatrader website contains help guides and FAQs that can assist you with your application.

Your council’s environmental health officers will also be able to assist you with more information and help you complete your online application.

Below are some publications and posters that may be useful for your event:

Food Safety tips - Cake Stalls

Free online food handler learning program - Dofoodsafely

Your local council may have some more resources that could be useful. Council contact details can be found on the find your local council website