Statements of trade - a quick start guide

By lodging a ‘Statement of trade’ (SOT), you are letting a Council know where and when you plan to sell food and/or drink. This is required under the Food Act 1984 (the Act) for operators who sell to the public from a temporary (e.g. market stall, tent/marquee or hall) or mobile food premises (e.g. coffee cart, ice cream truck, food van or water carter) and some vending machine operators.

You must lodge a SOT at least 1 day* prior to trading to have complied with your legal obligations under the Act.

*A business day is defined as a day that is not a Saturday or a Sunday or a public holiday, special holiday or bank holiday in the place in which you intend to operate. One business day means one complete business day, that is at least 24 hours. For example, if you intend to trade on a Saturday, then you would need to lodge the statement of trade prior to the close of business on the immediately preceding Thursday.

Other Laws
Other laws may apply to your trading. For example, you may need:

  • permission from a council to operate on council land, or if trading on a street, etc.
  • permission from the land owner if you intend to operate on private land
  • permission from the event organiser, if operating at events or markets
  • approval of the relevant road authority to trade on land within a road reserve (VicRoads for freeways and arterial roads, council for municipal roads or streets)  
  • other required licences – such as a liquor licence (if applicable).


How do I lodge a Statement of Trade?