Is Streatrader for you?

Streatrader is for food businesses and community groups that prepare and/or sell food* (including drinks) from a temporary or mobile premises.

Is Streatrader for you?

Q. Do you sell food from a portable stall, a van, a community hall or other similar site that you only use occasionally, or from a vending machine?

Q. Do you handle food at one of these places to sell it somewhere else (this includes making, manufacturing, storing, cooking or serving food that you intend to sell)?

Q. Are you a private water carter who transports for sale water for human consumption (includes using the water to prepare food or make ice for human consumption or to preserve unpackaged food)?


If the answer to any of the questions is yes, you can apply to your local council through Streatrader for permission to conduct these activities.


If you are not handling or selling food or drink as defined above, then you do not need to use Streatrader. However, you may still require a fixed premises registration - talk to your local council.

When you donate food to a fete or stall where it is sold by a community group or business, your donation is NOT a sale, but the sale by the community group or business is a sale.


If you are unsure whether your activity involves the sale of food, contact the environmental health unit at the council in which your business or community group is based for advice.

The table below can help you work out whether you need to apply for registration on Streatrader. 

Food handling activities – is Streatrader for you?

Food handling activities  Licensing agency Apply under Food Act? Is Streatrader for you?
Main activity is selling uncooked meat, chicken or fish at a fixed premises (for example, butcher’s shop, fishmonger) Primesafe  cross icon No cross icon No
Selling packaged meat at a market from a Primesafe licensed meat transport vehicle Council  tick icon Yes tick icon Yes
Selling packaged meat at a market from any other vehicle or stall Council tick icon Yes tick icon Yes
Main activity is selling raw fish or seafood from a van or stall Primesafe cross icon No cross icon No
Manufacturing dairy foods or handling them for wholesale  Dairy Food Safety Victoria (DFSV) cross icon No cross icon No
Manufacturing ice cream and/or frozen yoghurt and selling it from a van or stall  Council tick icon Yes Further information on Dairy products
Selling dairy foods (including ice cream &/or frozen yoghurt) from a stall or other temporary premises, a van or other vehicle at any location Council tick icon Yes Streatrader -tick _v2 Yes
Further information on Dairy products

Catering for a function, or the serving of food by a community group at activities for members or guests where:

  • food is prepared or stored at a permanent premises (eg restaurant, canteen, kiosk) AND
  • the food is served at a stall, a hall used occasionally, or a van AND
  • if from a van, that van is hired for the specific event or group activity only AND
  • the food is NOT sold direct to the general public from the stall, hall or van

tick icon Yes

Contact your council where your permanent premises is located

 cross icon No
Selling all other food from a stall, van, hall you use occasionally, vending machine Council tick icon Yes  tick icon Yes
Selling water for human consumption from a water transport vehicle Council tick icon Yes tick icon Yes

* 'Food' includes:

  • anything that people eat or drink
  • ingredients of a food, including additives to a food
  • drinks, including water, alcohol, milk, tea, coffee, fruit juice and soft drinks
  • chewing gum, including ingredients and additives

'Sale' has a very broad meaning. The most common situations it covers include:

  • being paid to provide food to people or businesses, or receiving other valuable consideration, such as from a retail or wholesale premises or at a market or from a stall or van or as a caterer
  • selling food whether for a profit or as a fundraiser for charity
  • offering or displaying food for sale, even if you don’t sell any 
  • selling food to someone who is going to re-sell it
  • receiving food or storing food in order to sell it
  • providing food to someone as part of a inclusive contract for accommodation or service (such as providing breakfast at a hotel or bed and breakfast; providing meals to residents in nursing homes; providing meals to children in day-care centres)
  • providing food to an employee at the workplace as part of the employee’s award or contract
  • giving away food 'in furtherance of trade' or as an advertisement (such as to promote your business)
  • supplying food to patients in hospitals or prisoners in prisons.